Thursday, March 23, 2017

Slice of Life Day 23 - Spring Break Day 4

Today my sweet husband took off work to spend the day with me.  He motivates me.

We "went to town" as we call it, to get mulch, a lawn mower battery, a new water hose and a new mailbox.

We have been trying to find a new mailbox for a long, long time.  Living in the country, people like to smash mailboxes.  Our green mailbox was smashed and the door had fallen off and we had put it inside the mailbox.  As I said, it had been this way for a long time.

We wanted a gray one to match our house and we finally found a gray one last week.  It said "stone gray" on the box and had a color dot. The color looked perfect to match our house.  However, when my husband opened the box, the mailbox was a tan color.  It had a nice gray door, but everything else was tan colored so today we settled for a black mailbox after shopping at the new Orscheln's store and at Lowe's.

Then we got lunch at Taco Bell, and a few groceries and the mulch at Walmart and headed home. First we loaded up the tools we needed and headed out to our mailbox.  Out with the old and in with the new.  It's the little things in life that make me happy.




When we finished putting up the mailbox, our next project was to weed our flower beds to get them ready to put down the new mulch.  We worked until five o'clock and made great progress on the weeding.  We got the front half of the house done and the back half is not nearly as bad.

While Tom took care of feeding the cattle, I fixed us some tuna wraps for dinner, using avocado instead of Miracle Whip.  It is delicious.  It has cilantro and chopped jalapenos, onions, red peppers, lime juice, salt and pepper.  We wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla.  However, next time, because of my new knowledge about carbohydrates,  I'm going to wrap it in lettuce.

After dinner, we decided to do one more project!  We were on a roll and we still had daylight, so we hooked the trailer onto the truck and drove through several gates to get to the back pasture where we loaded up old gates and barbed wire.  Tomorrow we will take it to the metal recycling place.  Driving through the bull pen was a little nerve-wracking.  They were acting a little frisky and were chasing the truck.  We were concerned that they were going to ram the truck or me when I got out to open the gate!  We made it through though with no damage to me or the truck.

After showers and finding six ticks crawling on me, I am relaxing on the couch writing this blog and watching our favorite HGTV show, "Fixer Upper."  This was a great day of Spring Break.





No comments:

Post a Comment