Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Slice of Life Day 15 - Lydia's Wedding Part II

Shopping for Lydia's wedding gown was a fun family event.   One evening after work, Tom, Sarah, Lydia and I drove to Springfield.  She found the one she wanted there that night at David's Bridal, but we didn't say yes to the dress because we wanted to shop around and make sure it was still the one after she had tried on more dresses.  Lydia is very petite at four foot eleven and eighty-six pounds, so no matter what, she would have to have it altered.  We went to, I think, three other bridal shops and tried on dresses, but her heart and ours was set on the one at David's Bridal.






A sweet, sweet and beautiful girl that Lydia and Sarah carpooled to school with agreed to be Lydia's photographer and Lydia asked some people she worked with, who are caterers, to make her cake.  

She wanted fruit, Chex mix, cake, cupcakes and punch for refreshments.  She is very frugal; not extravagant.  The weekend before the wedding, I made the slushy punch.  It is so yummy.  It has bananas, pineapple juice, orange juice and lemonade.  You boil water and sugar to dissolve it and add the other ingredients.  Then, I put it in ice cream containers and froze it for the big day.

Two days before her wedding I bought the fruit at Target where she worked so she could use her discount.  I bought green apples, blackberries, strawberries, pineapple and grapes.  That night I carefully washed them using apple cider vinegar and rinsed them.  Then I made several batches of Chex mix.  

Also, two days before her wedding, I went to Hobby Lobby to pick up the lavender candles that we had ordered in the store for the reception.  However, they told me that because the candles were backordered they did not order them!!!!  I almost cried.  We had paid for them and I thought that they had ordered them.  They had told me to pick them up in the store the next Wednesday.  They hadn't bothered to call and let me know otherwise.  They worked with me though to remedy the problem by calling other stores in the area to see if they had them in stock.  We had already bought all the candles they had at the Joplin Store.  Our daughter, Sarah, picked up a couple in Springfield and my brother-in-law went to two stores in the Kansas City area to get six more for a total of twenty.  That was stressful!

On Friday, the day before the wedding, my sister-in-law, Cammy and our good friends' daughter, Cathleen came over and helped cut up the fruit.  I cut up the fresh pineapple, Cammy took care of the strawberries and Cathleen chopped up the apples.  We mixed them all in giant ziploc bags.  The juice from the pineapple kept the apples from turning brown.  It turned out beautifully.




2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful cake! Will we see the dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, I updated this Slice and added a photo of Lydia at David's Bridal in the dress she chose. : )

      Delete