Monday, March 27, 2017

Slice of Life Day 27 - A Difficult Monday

Today was our first day back to school after Spring Break.  I was ready to come back.  My voice was back after getting plenty of rest over the break.

It was raining all the way to school and as I thought about Kevin and prayed for his daughter and for our principals who would have to lead a meeting about how we would tell our students, I choked back tears.  Then, I fought back tears all through the meeting.

The students seemed fine but I was the one that cried as I started each morning class and asked if everyone was okay.  It went better than I expected and we were able to have almost normal music classes.  I was able to finish handing out speaking parts to the White Day classes and tried the students on them and made necessary changes and also introduced a new song.

Today was our March Club Day as well, so I brought my violin, ukulele and guitar to use during our String Club.  I was pleasantly surprised when three of the students remembered to bring their instruments today and another called his mom who brought his banjo before our time was up.

It was the best Club Day so far.  We actually got the instruments tuned and learned the chords to "Down By the Bay."  A couple of students played the melody and the rest of us sang and played the chords.  I was thinking I would go back to Dance Club next year because we weren't having good success with String Club, but after making such progress today, I may stick with String Club after all. It was fun for everyone.

It was a difficult, rainy, blue, Monday, but creating music with students brings "sunshine, in a cloudy day."



2 comments:

  1. I kept thinking about Kevin today, too. It sounds like music brought you a little joy today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin was such a nice, friendly person. He will be missed! We can honor his memory by trying to be as enthusiastic and open as he was.

    ReplyDelete