Sunday, March 5, 2017

Slice of Life Day 5 - Dad

Last year on March 5 my Dad went to see Jesus.  Last year on March 5 was also Honor Choir day at Joplin Soaring Heights Elementary School.  I knew my Dad was dying but I also knew and felt responsible for my twenty Honor Choir students, so I just kept checking in with my Mom and with the Hospice nurse and praying.  I prayed that God would let me be with Dad and pray him into heaven.  I just wanted to be there at that moment.

Every time I checked in with my Mom, she would say that there were no changes.  After the concert, Jodi Rogers came and helped me get the students checked out with their parents.  Thankfully, all of the students were going home with their parents.  She came to support her students and I believe she was there for me.  Dr. Zornes would have been there, but her baby was sick and I told her she should stay with him.  Lorrie Brower, the Junior High Vocal Music teacher had ridden the bus with all of our students and I followed in my car so that I could go as soon as the concert was over.

As soon as I got on the road, I called my mom and she told me there was no change still.  I was so relieved.  I didn't want to miss it.  Then she said, "Oh, I think he is going!"  I told her I was on my way.  I prayed and really begged God to let me be there and pray with him.  God is so good, loving, gracious and kind.  I got home and rushed in.  One of my brothers and his wife had been there most of the day and they had left.  Another brother and his wife were there and had been there praying with him and taking care of him.  They let me and Mom be in there with him and I was able to pray him into heaven.  It meant so much to me and I am so thankful that God answered my prayer.

My Dad was a sweet Christian man.  He liked to study the Bible, paint, and garden.  He loved my Mom.  They had celebrated their 65th Wedding Anniversary in November.  They had six children, nineteen grandchildren and many great grandchildren.  He loved all of us.  I love you and miss you, Dad, and I am thankful for everything you did for me.  One day I will see you again.  That will be a happy day!

1 comment:

  1. A very sad, but beautiful story. I'm thankful we serve a loving and gracious Father, and that He gives us hope to one day see our loved ones again. Your dad was lucky to have such a caring daughter.

    ReplyDelete